intermediate between a square and a circle.
It is a square with rounded corners which is vividly different to a rounded square due to the presence of complex curves. A squircle also resembles an ellipse but with a different overall shape.
It is the
mathematical statement that represents a squircle.
In the equation of
a superellipse, |x/a|n + |y/b|n =
1, when the values are:
n=4 and a=b=1,
We get the equation of a squircle as:
x4 + y4 = 1,where (x, y) are the set of two points on
Uses and Applications
- In optics, when the light is passed through a two-dimensional
square aperture, the central spot in the diffraction pattern can be closely
modeled by a squircle
- Constructing the shapes of dinner plates which
provides greater surface area than circular ones with the same radius
- Constructing a touchpad button in many Nokia
- Italian car manufacturer – Fiat used numerous
squircles in the interior and exterior design of the third generation model – Panda
- Apple Inc. uses a shape that resembles a
squircle in its iOS mobile operating system as the shape of app icons,
- One of the shapes for adaptive icons available
in the Android ‘Oreo’ operating system, used in mobile phones, is a squircle.
- It was used at Sergels Torg in the heart of Stockholm, which provides maximum space for the traffic flow within a constrained space